We had a pretty good pumpkin harvest for the 2010 season. I planted heirloom sugar pumpkins and ended up with~20. Unfortunately, I lost quite a few of them after they were hit with frost. I didn’t cover the pumpkins and many came out of the frost rotten.
Before I lost my few surviving pumpkins I decided it was time to do something with them. I started with 7 pumpkins (1 came from my parent’s garden)
I washed the pumpkins and began the long process of peeling, gutting and cutting. I ended the process with a blister and a nice cut on my thumb. Pumkins are not the easiest thing to cut!
I cut the pumpkin in half and removed the seeds. I didn’t have enough time to separate and dry the seeds so the chickens got a nice treat.
Next up I sliced the pumpkin into manageable pieces and began to peel.
After peeling I diced the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes and brought the pieces to a boil for 2 minutes in plain water.
There were LOTS of pumpkin cubes!
I processed the pumpkin in quart jars with 1 inch headspace, at 11 pounds pressure for 90 minutes.
The seven pumpkins I canned produced 14 quart jars and a bit more puree that I added to apple sauce and froze. To use the canned pumpkin I just have to drain the water and puree. I am envisioning many pumpkin muffins, cakes, pies and breads in our future…
**Please note pumpkin can only be canned safely in chunks, in a pressure canner please refer to a trusted canning resource for detailed instructions prior to canning pumpkin!