Spicy Dilly Beans have quickly become a favorite in our family! Dilly beans are a great way to use up those fast producing green beans and the recipe is pretty simple. The recipe below is pretty spicy but you could easily cut the hot pepper with bell pepper to reduce the heat!
Spicy Dilly Bean Recipe:
- Green Beans, washed with ends trimmed
- Garlic, 2 cloves per pint
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp freshly diced hot cherry pepper (or jalapeno)
- Fresh dill heads, 2 per jar (or substitute 2 tsp dried dill seed)
The brine is made in a 1:1:1/8 ratio of water:distilled vinegar:salt
I typically make it by using 4 cups of water, 4 cups of vinegar and 1/2 cup of pickling salt.
That amount of brine should make enough for 4-5 pints of beans depending on how tightly you pack the jars.
Pack all ingredients into a hot sterilized pint jar. Fill the jar with brine leaving a 1/2 inch of head space. Process jars for 10 minutes using the boiling water method.
*I have also made these in quart jars using the processing time for pickles.